Crisis or Emergency?

Are you worried that a child or adult is experiencing a mental health crisis or emergency? Do you have questions about suicide or self-harm? Click on the NAMI guide: Navigating a Mental Health Crisis or find local resources below.

EMERGENCY: Is anyone in danger?

Call 911 for police, fire, or ambulance. 

If there is physical danger, if your child needs to be physically restrained, or if you think your child will not cooperate with a needed hospitalization, it is time to call 911.

  • When requesting police assistance it is helpful to request a CIT officer (Crisis Intervention Training). 

  • If you are in the city of Saint Paul you can ask the dispatch operator to have the responding officer call you in route so you can share critical details or you can meet the officer outside the incident site to share background information. 

  • If you are contacting the Ramsey County Sheriff’s Department and you have been in touch with them before about your child, you can ask that the responding officer check his or her field notes. 

  • The more information first responders have about a situation, the better prepared they are to assist.

CRISIS (or, "pre-crisis")
From any cell phone, dial **CRISIS to access all child AND adult mobile crisis teams 24/7 anywhere in the Twin Cities metro area
Children's Crisis Response  (Ramsey County)


NOTE:  This service works best if you can call before the situation becomes a crisis. So- if possible- try to call when you notice that things are starting to get challenging and you need extra support. 


The Ramsey County Child Crisis Response Team provides immediate help for youth experiencing a mental health crisis.


  • Help is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

  • Crisis outreach is provided by licensed mental health professionals. They can talk to you by phone and/or meet you in-person at your home, school, or community to assess and stabilize the immediate crisis. 

  • Mental health crisis response is provided regardless of ability to pay; however, it is covered by most health insurance plans.

  • The Child Crisis Team can not physically restrain  your child or force him/her to go to the hospital. If stronger intervention is needed, the Child Crisis team can often partner with a family even if it is necessary to involve the police or hospital.


Most of us have experience visiting the ER. We might get a chest x-ray or physical exam and then leave with antibiotics for an infection or a cast on a broken bone. But, assessing and treating a mental health emergency can feel different. If our child is not admitted, we can leave feeling scared and not knowing what to do.

For more information visit our page on: hospitalization

If you have time, CLICK HERE to read about what the ER can (and can't) do for your child in a psychiatric emergency.

ADULT mental health crisis?

Parents/caregivers who have a child with a mental health disorder may also have a mental health disorder of their own. Adults need help sometimes, too! If YOU are experiencing a mental health crisis, contact the Urgent Care for Adult Mental Health. 

Urgent Care for Adult Mental Health 










24/7 Mobile Crisis Team

Crisis Phone Line. 651-266-7900

402 University Ave. E., St. Paul - Walk-ins Welcome. 
Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. 
Saturday - Sunday 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

For more information 
search our online library!
More Crisis Info