Ramsey County Childrens Mental Health Collaborative
Weaving together parents' voices and systems of care for children's mental health

      When issues arise that suggest your child's behavior is different from his or her peers, it is often bewildering where to begin searching for answers.  Some emotions or behaviors may be situation related whereas other behaviors, especially when prolonged, may be due to physical or chemical causes possibly indicating an underlying mental health issue. 

    One place to begin in your search for answers is through contacting your child's pediatrician or primary care physician.  Arrange a complete physical for your child to rule out illness related causes.  Ask for a referral if needed.  Call your health insurance provider to check what services and providers are covered under your plan.


     Call 651-297-3862 – Minnesota Health Care Programs, www.dhs.state.mn.us/healthcare and/or

     Call 651-431-2670 – Minnesota Department of Human Services

    Call 651-266-3683 – Ramsey County Department of Human Services or

    Call 651-431-2670 – Minnesota Department of Human Services, TTY: 800-627-3529



     Call Children’s Crisis Response at 651-266-7878.

    This 24 hour / 7 days-a-week crisis service can often partner with a family even if it is necessary to involve the police or hospital. 

    Children’s Crisis Response can also help you to quickly access the Sub-Acute Stabilization Unit for Adolescents at the University of Minnesota Medical Center – Fairview Riverside Campus.  Their intake number: 612-273-6600.  For questions: 612-273-3717. 


    Call 911 for police, fire, or ambulance.  When requesting police assistance it is helpful to request a CIT officer (Crisis Intervention Training). 

     If you are in the city of Saint Paul you can ask the dispatch operator to have the responding officer call you in route so you can share critical details or you can meet the officer outside the incident site to share background information. 

     If you are contacting the Ramsey County Sheriff’s Department and you have been in touch with them before about your child you can ask that the responding officer check his or her field notes.

     The more information first responders have about a situation, the better prepared they are to assist.


     The following are hospitals in Minnesota with acute mental health units:

     Accepting both children under the age of 12 and adolescents:

    Abbott NW Hospital 800 E. 28th St.; Minneapolis, MN 55407 - Depending on the child's age, may need to go through the Children's ER for admission

    University of Minnesota Medical Center, Fairview 2450 Riverside Ave; Minneapolis, MN 55454

    Prairie Care 12915 63rd Ave N; Maple Grove, MN 55369

    Mayo Hospital, Rochester 1216 Second Street SW; Rochester, MN 55902

    Miller Dwan Duluth 502 E. Second St.; Duluth, MN 55805


    Accepting ONLY Adolescents (12-18):

    United Hospital 333 North Smith Ave; St. Paul, MN 55102

    St. Cloud Hospital 1406 Sixth Ave N; St. Cloud, MN 56303


    Mixed Units (Adolescents and Adults):

    These require parent/guardian consent to be on a mixed unit.  Staff carefully screen when looking at accepting adolescents and geriatric patients.

    Hutchinson Community Hospital 1095 Highway 15 S; Hutchinson, MN 55350

    New Ulm Medical Center 1324 Fifth St. N; New Ulm, MN 56073



    Call Ramsey County Children’s Mental Health Case Management – Voluntary Services, 651-266-4111Case Management Services can help you figure out what your child needs, how you can connect with community resources, and decide if more services are needed.                 



    Schools are not mental health providers but they do serve children with mental health issues.  Depending on the capacity of the school district and the size of the school there may be a number of professionals who can help you better understand your child's behaviors.  Call the
    Special Education / EBD office in your school district to access their help in building success for your child.



    Minnesota Association for Children’s Mental Health (MACMH), 651-644-733

    NAMI-MN: National Alliance on Mental Illness,

    A grassroots organization for people with mental illness and their families.

    PACER: Parent Advocacy Coalition for Educational Rights, 952-838-9000

    Minnesota Disability Law Center / Mental Health Advocacy Project & Special Education, www.midmnlegal.org)   612-334-5970

    State Ombudsman for Mental Health, Ramsey County area: 651-757-1810

    Ramsey County Children’s Mental Health Collaborative, 651-293-5951
    Family Partnership Coordinator


    Disclaimer: Ramsey County Children's Mental Health Collaborative has made reasonable efforts to ensure the accuracy of the information provided in this web site. However, due to the possibility of unauthorized access to this site, data transmission errors, changes to source material made since the last update to the site, or other human or mechanical errors, the information contained on this web site should not be deemed reliable for legal purposes. Please contact the Collaborative Office to verify the accuracy of the information.